Topics Map > IT Services > Network Access and Security > VPN
Topics Map > IT Services > Applications and Software > Other Software > VPN
Topics Map > IT Services > Network Access and Security > Security > Network
Topics Map > IT Services > Network Access and Security > Security > Personal Computer
Network: Networking From Home
Many resources available through the Washington State University network are only available while you are connected to the network. This means that when you are home, or traveling, you need a way to access the network. In a way, you must appear to be on campus. This is accomplished through the Washington State University VPN Gateway.
SSL VPN (Secure Sockets Layer Virtual Private Network)
Information Technology Services provides a SSL VPN service that allows faculty, staff, students, and sponsored users a quick and easy way to connect securely to the WSU Pullman network from external off-campus unsecured networks. SSL VPN (Secure Sockets Layer Virtual Private Network) is the next generation of VPN service, available primarily for WSU staff and faculty members. Use of the WSU SSL VPN service requires the installation of the Cisco SSL VPN AnyConnect Essential client.
SSL VPN operates much like traditional VPN, but adds additional connectivity and compatibility, utilizing the advanced encryption technology to protect sensitive information. SSL VPN transmits data through an encrypted tunnel to a VPN concentrator, giving the appearance that the user is on the local network, regardless of the user's actual location.
To access the SSL VPN client, please visit the ITS website https://its.wsu.edu/ssl-vpn/
- Active SSL VPN connections must never be left unattended.
- Always disconnect an active SSL VPN connection when finished with a session.
- Connections which remain idle (no interaction) for 30 minutes, will be automatically disconnected. Login again to reconnect.
- WSU recommends the use of local host firewalls for enhanced security.
- Computers should have the latest service packs, critical updates, and security patches before connecting to the SSL VPN.
- Antivirus software must be enabled with up-to-date virus definitions installed.