NID/FID: How to Create a WSU Network ID or Friend ID
Instructions for creating a WSU Network ID or Friend ID.
Creating your NID or FID is a four-step process:
- You will receive an invite to create your NID/FID, and will be given a TANK (12 digit number) to use to begin the process. This email will be sent to the email address that you used on your application.
- Open up a web browser and go to the following website https://wsu.edu/accountcreation. This is where you will enter the TANK.
- Once you have input your TANK and selected the email address that you would like to have your PIN sent to, you will be sent a PIN (6 digit number).
- You will be asked to input this PIN into the blank field on the creation screen. Once this is done, you will be guided through creating your Network ID (some form of your first name, a dot, and your last name). In the case that you are creating a Friend ID, your FID will be your personal email address.
- Complete the process by creating a password and a secret question. Please note that we require a minimum password strength of "Good".
"TANK" is a 12-19 digit number that is used only once in the creation of your WSU Network ID (NID).
"PIN" is a 6 digit number that also is used only once during the NID creation process to verify your identity.
"WSU number" is a 8-9 digit number that you will have for life. Once the NID has been created, you may continue to be asked for this number to identify who you are. Whereas the TANK and PIN will never be used again once the NID is created. It is sometimes referred to as a student number or user number, but is always referenced to as a number.
"WSU Network ID (NID)" is an electronic identity that you
can use on the internet, to identify who you are to the system. It is
usually based upon your first and last name. It will
be used to log in to MyWSU at portal.wsu.edu.
If you have been assigned a WSU ID number (employeeID), you can set up your NID. You will need to use your birth date and last four digits of your SSN. If your WSU ID number is not NID eligible, you will need to contact your hiring department.
- Go to the following website: https://wsu.edu/NID
- Select Create Your Employee Network ID.
- Enter your WSU number and check the Appropriate Use box, hit Continue.
- You will be asked to enter a password and set up a password recovery question and answer.
- Once completed, submit your request and your Network ID will be created.